A Visit to the Doctor

I had a follow-up doctor’s appointment today. I last saw the doctor on June 1st. The June 1st appointment was held to discuss the results of two blood screenings, one done at the end of April and the second one done at the end of May. In April my glucose reading was 147. In May my glucose reading had jumped to 157. Whenever a patient has glucose readings above 140 two times in a row, the doctor can classify the patient as diabetic. I was given a choice in June, to lose weight or to take medicine (and lose weight) to reduce my sugar readings. I opted to not take any medicine. I chose to lose weight.

During today’s visit the doctor discussed my most recent blood screening, which was obtained this past Friday. My glucose reading is now at a good range, in the 120s. My A1C blood test was within a normal range too. The doctor was happy, as was I, that I lost 11 pounds since June 1st. My medical report is not all rosy though. The doctor is concerned about my cholesterol readings. My good cholesterol level decreased since late April; my bad cholesterol level increased. This change was not expected, as I have cut back on food that would cause cholesterol levels to increase. According to the doctor it is possible that my high cholesterol could be caused by family heredity, rather than caused entirely by what I eat. My cholesterol readings are not at a point where medication is needed, YET. The doctor will monitor my cholesterol readings. She wrote up another blood work order for February next year. In the meantime I want to continue to watch what I eat and loose additional weight. Wish me luck!

9 Responses to “A Visit to the Doctor”

1. Anonymous

I hope everything works out for you. It's not fun going to the doctor as we age. It gets scarier and scarier. I'll put you in my prayers. Love, Ericka

2. Anonymous

Good for you! 11 lb loss is great, you've been traveling alot lately. Just think of all that fast food – you missed out on 🙂 Vicki

3. Skye

Linda, Congrats on losing 11lbs! That is wonderful! I hope you can keep your cholesterol levels acceptable to stay off medication.

4. Amanda W

Good job taking off some pounds. It's funny how a couple visits can put things in perspective. I hate the idea of being on medication because of lifestyle choices.I had a visit about a year and a half ago to get an echocardiogram- watching my heart working was a moving experience for me and fundamentally changed the way I look at my health and decisions.You'll be in my thoughts. Take care of yourself.

5. luvmyboys

Good luck with keeping your cholesterol down. It sounds like you did a great job with the sugar levels, and hopefully can do the same with the cholesterol.

Well done Linda. I will most definitely wish you luck and I think it's great that you have lost those pounds. I can relate as I am also trying to lose weight.