Photograph Published!

I took this photograph on July 1, 2007.

On April 2 of this year I received an email from the senior graphic designer with Local Insight Yellow Pages. The graphic designer wrote that he was investigating potential photography for a telephone directory cover. Based on the images in my Flickr account, he felt that I had an image that would be perfect for use on the cover. The photograph that the graphic designer was interested in is the one displayed above. If I felt that this was an opportunity I would like to get involved with, I was to contact the graphic designer at my earliest convenience to discuss details.

Today, I received a package from Federal Express. I opened the package and saw a telephone directory. It has been five months since I discussed details of possibly having my photograph used for the telephone directory cover. I wasn’t thinking of that discussion when I opened the package. In my mind I questioned why a telephone directory had been shipped to me by Federal Express. Then I recognized the photograph. Oh my! I almost cried. In fact my eyes did tear up a little bit! My photograph had been used for the telephone directory cover!

Here’s a photograph of the telephone directory cover.

I grew up in the Kittanning, PA, area. According to the graphic designer, this Windstream telephone directory is distributed to 30,000+ homes. The inside front cover provides me proper photo credit. My Flickr website link is provided, as well as my maiden name. I asked that my maiden name be included, as many of my family members and friends still live in the Kittanning area and will receive this telephone directory.

19 Responses to “Photograph Published!”

1. Julie Gaudet

That's amazing! You must be so proud! Did you get money for it too or just credit? Congratulations!

2. Skye

That is so cool, Linda! The picture looks great on the cover of that phone directory! How did the graphic designer find your flickr album? So neat that your picture was chosen. It is an amazing image. Great Job!!!

3. Anonymous

Please say you'll remember me when you're rich and famous. ;)- The Evil Sysadmin

4. Anonymous

Linda,I'm so proud of you. What a wonderful opportunity for doing what you love to do most…take pictures. Way to go! Ericka

5. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

Thank you very much to everyone who has left a comment. I really do appreciate you reading my blog posts and commenting on what you read!Julie – I did not receive money for the photograph. I did ask if the company provided monetary reimbursement. The answer was no. I decided to go ahead and tell them I was interested anyway. I did like the idea of my photograph being seen in 30,000+ homes and businesses in an area where I grew up. Many family members and their friends, former classmates and/or their families, and my parents' friends still live in that area. Skye – The graphic designer searched the Internet for images of Kittanning. Evil Sysadmin – Who are you? Just kidding! 🙂

6. Jean

Congratulations! I'm not surprised because your photos are always lovely. Good job! Thanks for telling me about the flea market, I've never been there. Jean

Oh Linda, how exciting is that? Congratulations! When I saw the photo as I opened up your page, I said to myself, “Wow, that is a beautiful photo.” Well done Linda, but then they knew a great photo when they saw one. Your blog is full of them.

8. StarWeez

Cool beans! I've said before your photos should be published & you could easily sell them… my all-time favorite is the grass eating rabbit!Cynthia