First Winter Storm of 2010

I live approximately 60 miles southeast of Erie, PA. When lake-effect precipitation coming off Lake Erie reaches where I live we receive quite a bit of snow. The amount of snow that we receive doesn’t reach the copious snowfall totals of those Snowbelt regions located closer to Lake Erie; however, our snowfall totals are not ones to be dismissed lightly.

Since the wee hours of Saturday morning (1/2/2010) Warren County, PA has been under a lake-effect snow advisory. I live in the northern part of Warren County; we have received about a foot of snow in the past 48 hours. Apparently the weatherman doesn’t believe we are out of the woods yet, as the lake-effect snow advisory doesn’t expire until 7:00 PM this evening.

I took the following photographs this morning at my house.

There’s feed for the birds.
We haven’t seen any birds coming to the feeder.

White-capped bushes

If the snow gets any deeper, I’m going to need higher boots.

Tarp wrapped around picnic pavilion is holding tight

Each year Bob plows a path to the shed.

Could it be that a path is plowed so that Bob can go look at his motorcycle, which is stored in the shed, from time to time?

White-capped bushes

Self-portrait

I used my camera’s live view function to take this photograph of me with our house in the background. When taking a self-portrait, a live view screen that swivels is very useful.

Our Japanese Andromeda looks pretty in the snow.

9 Responses to “First Winter Storm of 2010”

That's a very clever feature – the live view – on your camera. You took a great photo of yourself. Loved all your snowy pictures. They're all so pretty. Stay warm!

2. Linda

Such huge clumps of snow! I would have said the bushes were concrete pillars topped with snow – they must be so rigid with the frost.

3. Tes

Beautiful snowy pictures, makes me want to frolic in the thick soft snow! Hope you get to tie your loose ends soon so you can go on that vacation you so want. I checked your Sea World photos in flickr. Thanks for sharing the link, Linda! *hugs*

4. Anonymous

Stumbled into your world looking for pictures of “Natural Bridge Kentucky”. I got “screen sucked” into your whole trip. Thanks for sharing,Marc

5. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

Marc – I think that is the nicest compliment I have had since I began writing my blog. I am happy that you found one post so interesting that it encouraged you to read 10 or so blog posts all about our Kentucky vacation.

6. Corker2

Those Lake effect snow's, over where you are, must be a pain in the butt at times. The closest I've been to your area was when we rode our 1985 Goldwing Aspencade over to a Park in Erie, PA. I can't remember the name of it. Then continued North to the Finger Lakes, and then to Americade in Glen Falls, NY. I think I might have posted about our Goldwing in a previous Post.