Enchanted Woodlins

On Saturday I wrote about driving to Brookville, Pennsylvania to buy a pair of work boots for Bob. After we left Jack’s Boot Shop, we didn’t drive straight home. As Brookville is a 60-mile drive from our house, we decided to make a day out of it.

After shopping at Jack’s Boot Shop, we ate lunch at Plyler’s Buffet & Family Restaurant. The restaurant is located in Brookville too. We both ate from the buffet, which provided a wide variety of country-style cooked food, salads and dessert. The food quality was excellent; everything tasted very good. I did have one complaint though. Three of the hot food selections were not hot throughout The food temperature of those three selections was differing levels of lukewarm to hot. As we were checking out, I mentioned my disappointment with the cashier. She took 15% off our bill. I wasn’t looking for a discount on our meals. I just wanted to make her aware of the problem. It was good customer service to apply a discount to our meals. We would eat there again.

We didn’t go straight home after lunch. We drove home by way of Ridgway and Kane, which added approximately 30 miles to our day’s drive. We have driven through Ridgway numerous times while on our way to visit relatives in Virginia or to go to my brother’s camp near St. Marys. We’ve stopped a couple times in Ridgway but only to get gas and eat at a couple restaurants. We stopped in Ridgway for a short time on Saturday. We walked a couple blocks down and back up the main street.

Ridgway, Pennsylvania is a borough in and the county seat of Elk Country.

D1300795_edited-1
Elk County Courthouse

When driving through Ridgway I have always admired the wood carvings that line the street. I photographed several of these wood carvings during Saturday’s walk.

D1300786_edited-1
D1300787_edited-1
D1300788_edited-1
D1300792_edited-1
D1300797_edited-1
D1300799_edited-1

I learned later, while looking at the Ridgway-Elk County Chamber of Commerce website that the wood carvings are are known as “Enchanted Woodlins” and include animals, totem poles, and other sculptures. It appears as though there are many more wood carvings throughout Ridgway and nearby communities as there is a map available at the Welcome Center that gives direction to each Enchanted Woodland. I noticed, too, on the Chamber of Commerce website that a walking map of Ridgway’s historical Victorian homes is also available at the Welcome Center. Perhaps we will attend the 11th Annual Chainsaw Carver’s Rendezvous that will be held February 20-27, 2010 in Ridgway. The Ridgway Rendezvous sounds like a good way to spend a winter day.

11 Responses to “Enchanted Woodlins”

1. Linda

I enjoyed my tour of Ridgway, Linda. And it's always nice to read about the local cuisine! The courthouse is a very striking building. I long to visit the US again one day and get to know more of such a diverse and beautiful country.

I've never seen so many beautiful carving! And all of them in one area means there are a lot of great artists in the area.

3. ClayrPlayr

If you go see the chainsaw carvers, I insist you take oodles & oodles of pictures!! Like you need encouraging.. lol. They are just exquisit!! These are, too! Just awazing.. you must not be home very much.. lol

4. Joe Todd

Love the post. My wife Linda and I have a carved bear on our back deck. You might consider listing this post on the My World Tuesday meme. I just posted mine. Have a great week

Loved all your photos Linda, those carvings are wonderful. Always had a soft spot for wooden sculptures. The building looked lovely too. Glad you had such a fun drive.

6. eileeninmd

Linda, I love all the animal wood carvings. They are just awesome. The bear is one of my favorites. I would love to have a life size bear in my yard. LOL!

7. Tes

Thank you for that tour, Linda! Beautiful carvings, they used some fine wood over there. Beautiful place to visit! 🙂