Weekend in Pittsburgh, Day 1

Bob and I are spending the weekend in the Pittsburgh area. Bob came home from work at noon today, as is customary on Fridays. We left for our hotel shortly after Bob came home from work.

After settling into, and relaxing in, our room at the Springhill Suites Pittsburgh Mills hotel, we went to dinner at Olive Garden. We made one stop on our way to the restaurant. We stopped at Best Buy, where Bob purchased a 320GB hard drive for his laptop computer. We enjoyed our dinners of Five Cheese Ziti (Bob) and Lasagna (me), along with Garden-Fresh Salad and breadsticks.

After dinner we went to the Pittsburgh Mills shopping center, with one purpose in mind — to walk off some of the dinner that we had just eaten! I made one purchase while at the mall. I bought a book called “Photoshop Elements Top 100 Simplified Tips & Tricks” by Rob Sheppard at the Borders bookstore. I was browsing the book shelf containing photography how-to books, and this book caught my attention.

We returned to the hotel but realized that we had forgot to make one stop, at Walmart. Bob picked up a new pair of contacts before leaving home. He needed a second contact lens case. We left our room one more time and drove over to Walmart.

After picking up the contact lens case and soft drinks at Walmart, we returned to our hotel. As we walked towards the hotel, I caught glimpse of a bright light in the sky. I stepped back to get a better view. What I saw made me grab my camera when we reached our hotel room and go back outside.

D3261138 4x6

Waxing Gibbous Moon

87% of the Moon is Illuminated.
The moon is posed over our hotel.

We are going to the zoo tomorrow!

13 Responses to “Weekend in Pittsburgh, Day 1”

1. Ruthi

oh I love the moon shot. I always wanted to take a photo of the moon but why I don't have my camera every time I see one. thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a wonderful trip Linda. Enjoyed your photos, the moon shot over the hotel was great.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time in Pittsburgh, Linda. I think I need that Photo Shop Elements book….. I am trying to learn it –but I need some TIPS….Have fun… Great pictures. Hope you enjoyed Olive Garden… It's one of my fav. places.Hugs,Betsy

4. kjp

Linda, what a fantastic photograph. I wish I could take them as good as you do.Kathryn in Wales

What a great capture that last one is…BTW, we like Olive Garden also! I hope you have had a great weekend.

6. Becky K.

It sounds like you had a great time together. It has been many years since I have been to Pittsburgh.Your photo of the moon is absolutely great.Becky K.

7. Trails of a Traveler

I liked the last photo a lot. A well composed shot of the hotel and the moon.I have tried photographing the moon in similar perspectives, either with a building or with trees, but have never got it this sharp!

8. Peggy

I really envy you all your little trips! I quite enjoy hearing all about them. You are quite a skilled photographer – great pics in your blog. That moon shot is a gem. Thanks for sharing.