We Brake for Fountains

This is my first contribution to the Watery Wednesday meme.

One day in April, two years ago, we were on our way home from a weekend stay in Bedford, Pennsylvania. We were stopped at a traffic light in the town of Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania. I saw a sign indicating the existence of a world-famous spring and fountain on the road to our left. We were not in a left-turning lane. When the light turned green, Bob drove straight and turned around at a gas station. We drove down the street on which we were supposed to find the world-famous spring and fountain. We drove the entire length of the street and didn’t see a fountain. Bob searched for “fountain” on the GPS. We found an entry for Bare Memorial Fountain. Bob programmed the GPS to take us to the fountain. The GPS took us down the very same street on which we did not see a fountain, to Spring Dam Park. The centerpiece of Spring Dam Park is Bare Memorial Fountain, which is in the basin of the spring for which the town was named. The spring is the water source for the Blank Book Company (paper mill) as well as a spring water bottling business.

RoaringSpring200804_015Bob and I at Spring Dam Park

RoaringSpring200804_017Mama Duck and her Ducklings

RoaringSpring200804_004I’ll just follow wherever you go

RoaringSpring200804_002

We enjoyed watching this duck waddle behind a family. The duck had apparently adopted this family and was going home with them. In order to stop the duck from following them home, a man picked up the duck and placed it in the pond. Oh my what a racket that duck made! It wasn’t at all happy about being left behind!

RoaringSpring200804_032

RoaringSpring200804_031

The castle-like building is the Blank Book Company. You can read about the Blank Book Company by clicking here.

RoaringSpring200804_024
Is the Bare Memorial Fountain a world-famous spring and fountain? I don’t know. My blog is read by people all over the world. Have any of you heard of Roaring Spring? I am so happy that we stopped in Roaring Spring. What a gem! Spring Dam Park is such a beautiful place.

Visit Watery Wednesday and share your watery shots.

12 Responses to “We Brake for Fountains”

1. at the cottage

Oh I love seeing the ducks. The fountain looks lovely against the buildings in the background. I enjoyed your blog.Beautiful photos.Thank you

Neat Linda, Glad you stopped there… George and I 'brake for waterfalls'… One day we saw a sign for a waterfall–so we turned around to find it. It turned out to be an old mill and waterfall. SO Neat… Those finds are the best kind, aren't they?Hugs,Betsy

3. Stephen Tremp

Fountains and ducks. These are two of my most favorite things. Sung to the them of that one song I can't think of the name. I need another cup of coffee.Stephen Tremp

4. Elizabeth Munroz

Beautiful photos! Especially loved the building picture with the fountain in the foreground. Do you ever get out to Kinzua Dam area? My father lived in town of Kinzua when he was a kid, now underneath the water.

5. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

Thank you, everyone, for your comments! I appreciate each and every one of them!Elizabeth – I live near Kinzua Dam area. We visit that area frequently.

6. Nezzy

What beautiful pictures! I'm lovin' the little fuzzy ducklings. I just wanted to thank ya for visitin' with your sweet comment. I'm blessed with eight of the little boogers who range from 15 years to baby Ian.Pleas come by often, the door is always open here on the Ponderosa.Ya'll have a beautifully blessed day!!! :o)