My Camera Backpack

There was a discussion a short time ago in the MyOlympus yahoo group about camera bags. The Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW camera backpack was mentioned in that discussion. I received that camera bag as a Christmas present a couple years ago. In light of the MyOlympus discussion, I decided to share the video that sold me on the Lowepro 200AW and a couple photographs of myself wearing the backpack.

Here’s the video.

Here’s a couple photographs.

Back View

Front View

The camera backpack isn’t the most attractive fashion statement, when viewed from the front!

I carried this camera backpack for about 3 hours yesterday. I found that the weight of my camera equipment was distributed well on my back and that the backpack was comfortable to wear. I did notice a little bit of stress on my shoulder, however, as the 3-hour mark neared. The most uncomfortable feeling, though, was the weight of the camera around my neck when I had the 50-200mm lens and the 1.4x teleconverter attached! When the 50mm lens was attached to the camera and I carried the other lenses in the camera bag, I barely felt the weight. I carried the Olympus FL-36 flash, the Olympus 14-54mm lens, and miscellaneous accessories, cables and cleaning supplies in addition to the lenses aforementioned.

I recommend the Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW camera backpack wholeheartedly!

16 Responses to “My Camera Backpack”

1. Nezzy

Oh honey, I wish I had a camera that needed a backpack. My kids gave me a digital last Mother's Day so I could throw pics up on my blog. I can't seem to get the same quality as I did with my old 35mm with all the lenses..bells and whistles. I have much to learn.I just wanted to drop in and thank ya'll for hoppin' on my blog. I sure hope ya enjoy the ride.God bless and in the words of that silly old Granny Clampett, “ya'll come back now, ya hear!!!”

2. Cynthia

Thanks for the pictures. I've been thinking on whether one of these might work for me. Is it easy to access the gear?I guess I'll keep looking on eBay, see if I can pick one up cheap used to try. I don't expect I'd make much of a fashion statement in one either, LOL!

3. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

Cynthia – I swing the bag around easily and can take my camera out of the bag and swing it again onto my back. I can access other lenses, my flash, etc. as well; however, you have to be extremely careful that nothing falls out of the bag when you have the bag wide open. I prefer taking the bag off my back if I need more than just the camera. It took a little practice to take the camera backpack off and put it back on. Once I got the hang of that, I find it quite easy to take off and put on (and I haven't hung myself yet!).

Now I know why your pictures are so great! And Here I only have a lowly Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W50!

5. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

Ciss B – A camera doesn't make someone a good photographer. I've seen very good pictures taken with a point-and-shoot camera. In fact I have taken some of my pictures with a point-and-shoot camera.

6. Cynthia

Heaven help me… I just pulled the trigger on the BHPHotoVideo 70-300mm deal. Too good of a deal to pass up.I'll have to see on the bag. I might prefer a shoulder style with a strap long enough to go over my neck. I'm still haunting eBay for used bags at the moment, so it may depend on just what turns up.Now that I'm going to go do something else, I'll download the video and check it out.

7. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

Cynthia – Congratulations on your new purchase! I don't really need that lens because I have the 50-200mm lens. It's hard to pass it up, though, because I could get the same reach (a little more) with the 70-300mm lens as I do with the combination of the 50-200mm lens AND the 1.4x teleconverter. I could use the 1.4x teleconverter with the 70-300mm lens too when there is sufficient light.

8. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

Arne – I couldn't get the page to come up with your URL. I searched for sling bag and saw the bag to which you referred. Then I changed the store location. My store doesn't carry it. I changed stores several times, but can't bring up the bag any longer. I did see the bag and, yes, it does resemble the Lowepro bag.

9. Peggy

What a neat bag! One of the features which struck me as spectacular was that you can swing it around without taking it off. That and the rain hood. Neat stuff – thanks for sharing.

Beautiful camera and backpack, Linda. When we got our new cameras, we debated getting a backpack–but decided against it since we'd have to take it off every time we wanted to change lenses –which is often when we are hiking and taking pictures. SO we got the regular bags –and I carry mine under my right arm–so that I can get to it quickly… Also–when we hike we take our hiking backpacks (I have one with water) —so that would present another problem… SO????????? I'm glad you like yours though.Hugs,Betsy

11. Cynthia

Well, your post obviously influenced me… I just won a slightly used Lowepro Slingshot 200 bag on eBay for $57 shipped. If it doesn't work out for me, I'll just re-sell.

12. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

@ Cynthia – Congratulations on your new purchase! It did take me a little time to get used to it, so please don't get frustrated with it! I was looking at the 350 AW today. It is larger than the 200 AW and has room for a laptop computer.