New Camera Lens

I’ve made a lot of camera-type purchases since the end of last year. I purchased the Olympus E-620 dSLR on Black Friday last year. During the next few months that purchase was followed by a battery grip and spare batteries, a 50mm lens, and two remote shutter release cords (You might recall that I broke one of the shutter release cords and had to purchase a new one.) In today’s mail I received another new purchase — a 70-300mm lens.

When the mailman came, I was disappointed because he handed me only envelope-type mail. I mentioned that I was expecting a package, coming to me by priority mail. I told him that it left Warrendale, PA at ~6:30 last night. He said it could take a couple days. The mailman left, and I walked into the kitchen with the mail that he had given me. A couple minutes later the doorbell rang. It was the mailman, carrying a package. He had put the package in the wrong mail slot! If I hadn’t said anything to him about expecting a package, I bet he would have delivered my new lens to one of my neighbors!

The first thing I noticed about the lens was that the 35mm equivalent range, 140-600mm, is written on the barrel of the lens. I couldn’t miss the description, as it is written in white on a blue background. This is the first time one of my Olympus lens have indicated the equivalent range on the lens itself. The second thing I noticed was the weight of the lens. The new lens is significantly less heavy than the 50-200mm lens I already have, which is GREAT! I can hand hold this lens and take good pictures, which was not possible with the 50-200mm lens. The use of a tripod, of course, will increase the sharpness of a particular photograph. This is the case regardless of which lens is used when taking a photograph.

Here’s some of the hand-held pictures that I took today.

D4211670 4x6
Primroses
70mm, 1/800 sec, f/8
D4211674 4x6
Blue Jay
300mm, 1/200 sec, f/8
D4211677 4x6
Bird in a Tree
300mm, 1/640 sec, f/8
D4211681 4x6
Robin
277mm, 1/100 sec, f/8
I know for certain that my new lens will get a lot of use! I am very happy with the quality of the pictures.

13 Responses to “New Camera Lens”

1. Nezzy

WoW!!! I want one! Your pictures are just amazing! Congratulations on your new lens…enjoy!!!Ya'll have a wonderfully blessed Wednesday!!!

2. Cynthia

Love the birds, especially the one in the tree and the little bluejay! I clearly need more practice with handholding my lens, but the weather has been against me in terms of nice bright sun.I'm thinking I need to consider a birdfeeder now, LOL! The cats would probably like that, though I'm not sure how much they could see.

3. Mithun

Absolutely great lens and certainly a great Eye, Linda!I'm sooo dying to get my hands on the lens I've ordered… And these pics are making me even more impatience!

4. Corker2

Have a great time with your new Camera Lens. Looks to me like it does a fine job for what you want. Like me, it takes some time to get to know just how much you can do with it.

5. Ana

How exciting to have new equipment. These are wonderful photos, I specially like the bluejay and the one with the bird up a tree.

6. Scott

Hey Linday,I've got that same lens on my E-30 and several of the photos you've seen on my blog were taken with it, especially close up sunset shots and birds. It's also amazing how close you can get in with the macro feature that they don't even advertise on it. You mentioned you have a 50mm is that the macro lens? I have that one and most of the macros you see on my blog were taken with that. I love both these lenses. You've obviously got the skills to use them well, these are some nice shots.

How exciting and you took some fantastic shots with your new lens. Wishing you many happy hours with it.