A Friday Afternoon Ride

Bob and I went for a motorcycle ride yesterday afternoon. Bob has been out on the motorcycle several times since the riding season began. This was my first ride of the season. I could have gone for a ride before yesterday, but I just didn’t feel like riding. We didn’t ride far, only 20 miles east of Warren and then back home. It was an enjoyable ride, but what I enjoyed most was spending time with my husband. We made three stops during our ride.

Our first stop was at Rimrock Overlook. Rimrock, which is in the Allegheny National Forest, is located approximately 20 miles east of Warren, Pennsylvania. Rimrock offers a picnic ground, an overlook with splendid views of the Allegheny Reservoir and the opportunity for climbing rocks. The view of the Allegheny Reservoir was splendid indeed, as several tall trees that had blocked the view were cut down earlier in the year.

D4301897 4x6
The last of the steps down to Rimrock Overlook
D4301879 4x6
Rimrock Overlook of Allegheny Reservoir
D4301895 4x6
See the people atop the highest point at Rimrock?
D4301893 4x6
View of Forest Floor from Rimrock Overlook

Our second stop was at the Big Bend Recreation Area just downstream of Kinzua Dam on the Allegheny River.

D4301905 4x6
Bird-viewing platform at Big Bend Recreation Area
D4301900 4x6

As we approached the bird-viewing platform, I noticed fishermen in the river below the platform. The fishermen were leaving when we reached the platform.

D4301901 4x6
D4301907 4x6
The view from the bird-viewing platform is so serene.  I saw these gorgeous blossoming trees on the right of the platform. In front of the platform was the beautiful Allegheny River.
D4301903 4x6

We saw Merganser ducks on the river, but they were too far away for good photographs.

Our last stop was along River Road in Warren to see if Mama and Papa Swan had any young ones yet.

D4301928 4x6

This is Papa Swan. Mama Swan was sitting on the nest a little bit to the right of Papa Swan. No babies yet.

12 Responses to “A Friday Afternoon Ride”

1. EG Wow

Very nice photos of the mergansers! The Allegheny River looks like a greaat place to take photos, but thise cliffs look mighty steep!

Oh Linda, what a gorgeous place to take a ride…. I would sit and watch their birds FOREVER… ha ha Love the rocks and the Rimrock Overlook… Gorgeous!!!! Any waterfalls there????? We are in Simpsonville, SC tonight –after checking out some waterfalls in GA today. We'll drive to the beach tomorrow. HUGE storms, rain, flooding, etc. in Tennessee. Wonder if we will have a home to go back to…??? Yipes!Hugs,Betsy

3. Diana

Linda, beautiful. Those first few photos took me back to Cooper's Rock State Forest in Monongalia Co WV; easily they could have been mistaken for that area.

4. Joe Todd

Exactly the kind of ride I like to take. Great photos of nature and points of interest. Overlooks,rivers,and wildlife doesn't get much better

5. Ana

All pictures are so lovely! The bird viewing platform is a work of art, really pretty. The size of that overturned tree caught my attention, I wonder how tall it was. What a beautiful place for a ride.

I can almost feel like I am smelling the air there! Lovely. My small birding experiences pale with such gorgeous views with those birds in the wild.