Seven Babies!

There is a swan family living along River Road in my hometown of Warren, PA. I first saw mama and papa swans on April 15th. Mama swan was sitting on the nest; papa swan was swimming nearby. I returned to the nesting area several times over the next couple weeks, hoping each time that I would see baby swans. Each visit was fruitless.

My friend, Valerie C., returned to the nesting area during the evening of May 5th. Valerie emailed me to report that mama and papa swan had seven new babies! I went to the nesting area the next day, May 6th. The swans were nowhere to be found. This morning I returned to the nesting area. Just a short way downstream from the nest I found the swan family. I think I spent an hour watching and photographing the swans.

D5072099 4x6

D5072068 4x6

D5072053 4x6

D5072043 4x6

Congratulations mama and papa swan on the birth of your SEVEN babies!

16 Responses to “Seven Babies!”

1. Arne

There are some nice ones there – pretty exciting!Arne

2. Corker2

A nice Post to see with Mother and Father Swan and their seven little ones. They are so cute to see. If I'm not mistaken, Swans mate for Life.Les

3. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

@Arne – It IS exciting! I thought those babies were never going to be born! @Corker2 – That's my understanding, too, that swans mate for life.

I had the greatest time looking at your photos Linda and yes it must have been VERY exciting. Fantastic images, all of them. I used to see lots of swans back in my childhood but not so much around here. One of these days I hope. In the meantime I will be content to looks at these little beauties. I love how the cygnets fold themselves into their mother's back feathers and take a ride.

5. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

@Denise – When I saw the babies hitching a ride, I stood there gaping … mouth dropped. I had never seen that before! Afterward I did look up pictures on the Internet and found a few where baby was hitching a ride. That was the neatest thing to see!

6. Ana

Hi Linda, thank you so much for this update. Amazing to see the little ones riding with their mom, first time I see this, so incredible! – had to show it to my husband as well. We spent some time together marveling at your photos, thanks again for sharing!

Signets are always cute, but I have not had as good experiences with swans…they can be mean – but they are beautiful.

8. Willard

Very special photos of the family of swans. In reference to your comment on my blog, I used a 28-135mm Canon EF IS lens for the two shots this week and a 500MMF4 last week. Many of my deer photographs are of animals that are as used to humans as the elk on Winslow Hill. This family of deer stays in a protected area that I visit almost every day and I have been around this buck since he was a tiny fawn. I can move about in front of him freely at close range, which is how I was able to get this weeks shots with such a small lens.