Our Hawaiian Vacation: Getting There

We spent the night of May 16th at the Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Airport Hotel in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania. We took advantage of the hotel’s stay, park and fly rate plan. Our hotel stay cost just a little more than it would have cost to park our car for 2 weeks, at a discounted rate, at Pittsburgh Airport.

Our hotel room was on the ground floor and looked out on the courtyard.

Our hotel room was located on the right, near the end of this pathway.

We had a patio door that opened onto the courtyard. There was a patio table and four chairs a few steps away from our room.

The courtyard was a relaxing place through which to stroll, as well as linger. The courtyard sounded like an aviary. I saw birds flying over my head, diving into trees. Other birds stood on walls or walked on the sidewalk or landscaped portions of the courtyard. Most of the birds were sparrows.

I’m hungry. Have you seen either of my parents?

Here is either mama or papa bird. Dinner isn’t far away baby bird.

We went to bed early, 9:00 PM, and slept well. The morning of the 17th began early. The alarm was set for 4:30 AM, and we caught the shuttle to the airport at 5:30 AM.

Our flight out of Pittsburgh departed at 7:40 AM, 10 minutes past its scheduled departure time. We were informed that the flight was delayed because the crew got in late the previous night and had to have the required (legal) amount of rest before their next flight. Although we departed Pittsburgh 10 minutes late, we arrived in Phoenix ahead of our scheduled arrival time. However, we arrived at the gate late. According to the pilot there was someone new directing traffic, creating a traffic snarl. Our scheduled layover in Phoenix was short but, as a result of the traffic snarl, we had only a 10-minute wait before boarding began on our Phoenix to Kona, Hawaii flight.

We enjoyed the mountain view, as we waited for our U.S. Airways flight to depart the Phoenix airport.

We departed Phoenix on time, even though there were several airplanes ahead of us on the runway.

We were flying over the Pacific Ocean for what seemed like a LONG time!
I was happy when I again saw land.

We passed by the Island of Maui on our way to the Island of Hawaii.

the Island of Maui

the Island of Hawaii
Oh boy! We’re getting closer to our final destination!

We arrived at Kona International Airport on schedule (2:00 PM local time). If anyone is keeping track of time spent in the air, those two flight segments equated to approximately 10 hours.

As we approached the Kona International Airport I was startled to find the ground was black and barren. Part of the airport sits atop a lava flow from 1801.

Approaching Kona airport

Upon arriving at the Kona International Airport, we departed the airplane via portable steps, walked across the tarmac and through the open-air airport. The airport was small and different from any airport I have ever landed in. The airport resembled a little village with kiosk vendors.

Kona airport

John (Bob’s brother) and Dorothy met us at airport, gave each of us hugs, and put leis around our neck. No one took any pictures of John and Dorothy putting leis around our necks; however, I did take pictures of both leis a few days later.

Kona airport

We hung our leis around a photograph in John and Dorothy’s guest bedroom. The leis might still be hanging there today 🙂

We had been accustomed to seeing John and Dorothy frequently over the years. They used to live in Virginia, which was only a 5-6 hour drive from our house. John and Dorothy moved to Hawaii in December 2009. We hadn’t seen them since then. It was so good to see John and Dorothy again!

Stay tuned for more posts on our Hawaiian vacation.

14 Responses to “Our Hawaiian Vacation: Getting There”

1. Arne

The big island is my favorite of all of them (right before Kauai)!

2. Annette

I can't wait to see the rest of the photos. I was in Hawaii on Oahu in 1984…a beautiful island as well.

Hi, Thanks for taking us to Hawaii… I need a vacation… haThat was a good deal with the hotel… Glad the trip —so far—went so well… I know you were happy to see John and Dorothy…Hugs,Betsy

4. Trails of a Traveler

Apart from the birds (which are my favorites), the aeriel view of the Hawaii and the clouds through the window was superb!The Mariott hotel too looks like a beautiful place!Ram

That flight sounds really long! 10 hours…I have a problem flying from Michigan to California! (I tend to pray the plane up, and down.)The pictures of the island are lovely. I've wanted to go to Hawaii for years. I cannot wait to see the rest of your photos – oh, and your leis are lovely!

6. Ann

I am missing a sparrow, a little bird tells me that he has gone for a summer holiday in Hawaii. LOLSeriously, I have about 50 sparrows that come to my garden to feed my bread.

Wow, how fun to go to Hawaii and visit family! Rich and I would like to go there in a few years. He was there when he was 16 and I have never been.

8. Andrea

oh i put the comment here at the newer post! I love your photos which are very clear considering you are just inside the airplane window. I have been doing that too, but i can't seem to get as clear as your photos! May i know your camera and your secret. Thank you, as well for visiting my site. I can't wait for the following Hawaii vacation entries.

Very exciting post Linda. I'm so glad you got to see John and Dorothy again. I remember you telling me you used to visit them when they were living in Virginia. Can't wait to see more photos and hear more of your experiences in Hawaii.

10. Lorraina

Loved visiting Hawaii again through your pics and can't wait for more.I don't know if you also went to Maui; thats our fav right after the Big island. Theres so much to see and do on both. Well, hey, love Oahu also….guess we just love all of Hawaii. Aloha!

11. Cynthia

Very behind in my blog reading thanks to me, hubby and the cat being under the weather, but love the pictures! I am glad I am not the only person out there to take pictures of jet wings, LOL! The hotel looks very nice, I know I will enjoy the other photos as well, when I get the chance to go see!