Our Hawaiian Vacation: Settling In

Shortly after arriving at the Kona International Airport on May 17th, we retrieved our luggage (one suitcase) from baggage claim. We had to pay extra for checked baggage ($20 each way), so I was happy that we were able to fit our clothing, toiletries and a few odds and ends in one checked bag. That suitcase weighed 48 pounds when checked for our return home. We would have had to pay extra for an overweight checked bag, if the suitcase had weighed two pounds more. While flying we had to pay for food and snacks with the exception of coffee or tea, soft drinks or water. I hate that the airlines decided to implement this “pay as you go” plan. In addition to that one suitcase, our carry-on baggage included my camera bag backpack, Bob’s backpack-style laptop computer case, and my briefcase-style laptop computer case.

After retrieving our checked baggage, John and Dorothy led the way to the parking lot and their car. We stuffed our baggage in the back of the car, hopped in the car and left the airport en route their condominium. John and Dorothy’s condominium is located a few miles south of the Kona Airport, so the drive there lasted only a few minutes. The appearance of the island continued to astound me. As I mentioned in my “Getting There” blog post, I was startled to find the ground was black and barren as we approached the runway at the Kona International Airport. The ground is barren because the Kona climate is dry. Where the land is green in Kona, it is that way by use of irrigation. The ground is black from the flow of lava (molten stone) from Hualalai in 1801.

Soon after reaching the condominium, Bob and I changed from our jeans into shorts. After unpacking and putting away our clothing, Dorothy took Bob and I on a short tour of the condominium complex and across the street to the ocean. I do not have any photographs from this walk, as I didn’t bring my camera with me. At the ocean front I enjoyed watching the waves crash against the black lava rocks. We saw crabs on the rocks every bit as black as the rocks themselves.

We ate dinner at 7:00 PM. John prepared a delicious dinner of roasted chicken, broccoli and cauliflower, and rice. The long day caught up with Bob and me around 8:30 PM. At that time we had been awake for 22 hours. It was long past bedtime!

I awoke several times during the night, eventually getting up at 5:15 AM. It appears that Bob and I were not the only ones settling in at John and Dorothy’s condominium. Dorothy and John have an artificial tree on their lanai (balcony). Before our arrival in Hawaii, a Japanese White-Eye made a nest in the tree and laid three eggs. I spent part of the morning of our second day in Hawaii watching and photographing mama and papa birds, as they fed their three hungry babies.

Japanese White-Eye
Mama bird feeding her three babies

15 Responses to “Our Hawaiian Vacation: Settling In”

1. Scott

I've had some grandchildren visiting this past week. Why is it that this photo reminds me of that??? Baby birds are about the ugliest things alive, but it's sure good their parents, and apparently you ;>), can't see that. That is cool that you could get in so tight for these photos.

That is a fun commentary Linda and cute picture of the baby birds. I love Hawaii and am always so interested in the experiences of others who visit the islands. I hope to get back there one day. In the meantime I will be back to read more of your posts.

3. eileeninmd

Great post and a cute shot of the Moma and baby birds. I think the airlines are really crazy lately with all these extra charges. I loved Hawaii, I would love to go again.

I can't imagine living where the ground is black and barren…but then you wouldn't have to mow a yard!!! It would really be interesting to see, though.

I'll bet you were tired —after 22 hours being awake… They say it takes a few days to adjust.. Cute little baby birds… Tell me again what your brother-in-law does in Hawaii… That has to be a great place to live.Hugs,Betsy

6. Jen

Every time I go away, I can't get away from birds either. ha! great shots. I didn't realize you were back from your break- I need to catch up. Hawaii – wow! 🙂 It's been 15 years since we went; we did a 15 year wedding anniversary trip.

7. Stonehollow

My favorite memory of my first day on Kona is supper at a restaurant on stilts out into the ocean, watching the sunset with a drink in hand (can't remember what drink – doesn't matter). And the black sand beach (pebbly sand – weird).I also remember the open air terminal – no walls! Probably different now.Thanks for the memories. Looks like you had a great time!

I feel like I there with you descriptions. I love the pictures of the birds, for me that would make it feel like home. I can't wait to see where you're heading next!

9. guild-rez

The last picture is priceless!!My husband and I visited Hawaii many times..love the flowers and birds!!Right now we travel in Canada to the east and north of Toronto, Canada. – Cheers Gisela.

10. Cynthia

Such a neat image with the birds in their artificial tree home! I haven't traveled by air in ages, I'm sure when I do, all the new charges will come as a huge shock.

11. ClayrPlayr

Never flew, never going to – but I loved the post! Lol! The baby birds reminds me of the ones a mamma bird made in the rafter of our front porch. I'll have to get pics! On to the next post!