Our Hawaiian Vacation: Flowers, Birds and a Sunset

I will begin this blog post with a word on the weather that we experienced while in Hawaii, particularly in Kona. The weather, overall, was not what we expected. We expected to be graced with warm temperatures, blue skies and lots of sunshine throughout our stay in Hawaii. We had the warm temperatures; however, we experienced many cloudy and/or hazy days while in Kona. It rained several nights and a few days. John and Dorothy said the weather was unusual. John said that the winds were blowing the wrong way. That is why we had so many days of clouds, haze and rain.

Continuing with the activities of our third day in Hawaii …
While John and Bob were fishing and Dorothy was at work, I explored John and Dorothy’s condominium complex and two nearby trails that led to the ocean. The morning’s weather, after the overnight and early morning rain, was the best I had seen since our arrival. The sun was shining, and the sky was blue.

John and Dorothy’s Condominium Complex

The staircase on the right-hand side of this photograph leads to John and Dorothy’s condominium. Their condominium is on the second floor, on the left.

View of ocean from John’s den

Looking towards Volcano Hualalai from front lanai

I saw many colorful flowers, while strolling through John and Dorothy’s condominium complex. Here are photographs of a few of them.

Plumbago

Bird of Paradise

Red Ginger

Red Hibiscus

Oleander

Bougainvillea

After my stroll through the condominium complex, I walked across Alii Drive to a public access trail that led to the shoreline. Dorothy took Bob and I to the shoreline via this trail the previous night. You might recall that I did not have my camera with me during that visit. I didn’t make that mistake this time!

Public Access Trail Leading to Shoreline

Ixora

Plumeria

View at End of Public Access Trail

Cruise Ship

I could see a cruise ship off in the distance. Kona Bay is a shallow-water bay; therefore, cruise ships need to put down anchor out in deeper water. Transportation to and from shore is provided by small ferry boats that shuttle passengers between the ship and Kona Pier. A cruise ship puts down anchor here every Wednesday.

I LOVED watching the waves!

As I walked back up the trail, towards Alii Drive, I took one last parting shot of the public access trail leading to the shoreline.

I walked a short distance on Alii Drive and came to the Kona Isle Condominium Resort access to the shoreline. Bob and I saw the previous night’s sunset from the shoreline accessible from this access point.

Kona Isle Access to Shoreline

Palm Tree at the Kona Isle shoreline

I could still see the cruise ship.
This was the spot from which I photographed the previous night’s sunset.

UFO Parasail

Waves Crashing against Lava Rock

In the afternoon I entertained myself by photographing birds from Dorothy and John’s front and back lanais.

Brazilian Cardinal

Japanese White-Eye

Japanese White-Eye

When Dorothy got out of work (2:30 PM), we drove to Jim’s house (John’s fishing partner) to pick up Bob and John. We drove to Honokohau Harbor, where we dumped the fish waste (heads, guts, and scales) from the day’s catch in the trash.

Could this car possibly pull such a large boat?

In the evening Dorothy and I drove to downtown Kona, where we watched another beautiful sunset.

The perfect ending to another wonderful day!

20 Responses to “Our Hawaiian Vacation: Flowers, Birds and a Sunset”

Oh Linda, what fabulous pictures… Seeing all of the area including the flowers, birds and sunset was just awesome. I love your sunset with that palm tree in the picture. Terrific…. Thanks so much… I've never seen a Brazilian Cardinal. Gorgeous bird.Hugs,Betsy

2. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

@Iowa Gardening Woman – The Hawaiian pictures were taken with an Olympus E-620 DSLR. If you scroll down the left-hand side of my blog, there is a list of my photography equipment.

3. Jen

Stunning pictures! It is so beautiful there. If I ever get to go back, you can bet I would be bird watching too!

Your pictures of the flowers are fabulous, but I love the picture of the tree at the end of the Public Access Trail!

5. jabblog

What a beautiful post! You really made the most of your holiday – stunning sights in every direction – gorgeous!

6. Trails of a Traveler

Beautiful photos Linda! Good that you made up for the initial miss on taking the camera with you..I liked the Brazilian Cardinal. Such a colourful bird!Ram

7. Diane Cayton-Hakey

I'd take Hawaii even with cloudy days. The flowers are wonderful, in fact I had a couple of those you show in our backyard in Tempe years ago. The bird of paradise and the bougainvillea. Had never seen that kind of cardinal before.. quite handsome!Di

8. Ann

Those white or silver eyes, they come to my garden to feed my bread. Did you stick around to help push that boat? LOL

9. Andrea

I love all the photos, crisp and very clear details. Do you use tripod in all these? The colors of the flowers and birds are so spectacular! My hands are not as steady anymore that the IS maybe cannot counteract, hehe!

10. Cynthia

It looks so relaxing and wonderful! Love the flowers and the birds, you really got great shots!Truly glad I had a few moments to at least start catching up with your blog! I've hardly had time to be on my computer at all lately! And a vicarious vacation is surely better than none, LOL!

11. Lorraina

Your pictures are awesome! You've got me yearning to return to the Big Island; its been 8 yrs for us. Too long, really must return. I didn't see birds like that, course i was always looking for flowers. Next time i'll look for both and everything in between!

I thought I had seen these sunsets, and commented but I must have just glanced at them. I did not remember the other shots, though. The flowers are gorgeous, and those Brazilian Cardinals are so pretty. I am enjoying your photos.