Our Hawaiian Vacation: Fifth Stop of Kohala Day Trip

This post continues details of our driving tour of Kohala, which we enjoyed on our fourth day on the island of Hawaii (Thursday, May 20th). Our first stop was at Manini’owali Beach. Our second stop was in Kawaihae at the Pu’Ukohola Heiau National Historic Site. Our third stop was at Lapakahi State Historical Park. Our fourth stop was at King Kamehameha’s birthplace. Our fifth stop was at the Pololu Valley Lookout.

Returning onto Route 270 from King Kamehameha’s birthplace, we traveled through the towns of Hawi and Kapaau to the Pololu Valley Lookout. Route 270 ends at the lookout. Pololu Valley Lookout provides a spectacular view of the coast and cliffs, lush with vegetation, rising out of the ocean.

D5202833 4x6Pololu Valley Lookout

P5203617 4x6Dorothy took this picture of Bob and me at the lookout.

D5202839 4x6To the right of the the view of the coast, one could look down into the valley.

D5202850 4x6We saw several mules at the lookout.

D5202855 4x6One last look at the view from Pololu Valley Lookout
Isn’t it beautiful?

There is one way to Pololu Valley Lookout and one way out — Route 270. As we were traveling along Route 270 towards Kapaau, we saw a strange sight indeed!

D5202856 4x6
These feet and shoes were sticking out of a hole alongside Route 270. I don’t know the reasoning for this “exhibit”. This picture reminds me of the scene in “Alice in Wonderland” when Alice falls into the rabbit hole.

Next stop: Kapaau

14 Responses to “Our Hawaiian Vacation: Fifth Stop of Kohala Day Trip”

1. Trails of a Traveler

Nice photos Linda. The Pololu Valley Lookout is a bit curious. Did you try walking up the valley to get better view of the sea?A Panorama would have been really good. Did you try anything?

2. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

I did not take a panoramic picture, although I agree the lookout would have been a good place to try one. I found this interactive panoramic image on the Internet.You can hike down to the black sand beach at the bottom. The trail is steep. My right knee has a torn meniscus. I feared it would not carry me down and back up the trail.

I so want to visit the wild parts of Hawaii too. This shot of the Pololu Valley is beyond anything words can describe for me. Funny thing is I don't want to visit those touristy places, I really have no interest in them. But the natural beauty in places as magical as the places you've visited are something that just calls to those of us who love the natural world. P.S. the pic of you and Bob shows so much it affected you two – a serene place like this can lead to the best vacation in my opinion.

4. Corker2

These are real nice photo's of a place that I never did get to see while stationed in Pearl Harbor for those 2.5 yrs. What I did get to see, I found that the Islands are a beautiful area.The only part of King Kamehameha that I did see what the large statue of him in front of the Hawaiian Gov't Building in Oahu. He stands in full color with a robe of gold. It's impressive to see.I'll be watching, Linda. I'm sure that you and Bob had a great time while there. It's a place that you will always remember, like me.Les

The ocean is so beautiful there! I had to laugh at the shoe and leg photo. I'm sure is caused a few double takes!

Wow, those feet do look real don't they? Someone certainly has a funny sense of humor. Beautiful scenic photos and I thought the one of you and Bob was great. I hope you're framing it and putting it out somewhere.An English Girl Rambles

Wow, what views! I think I would have just wanted to sit and stare and drink in the view!

Hi Linda, LOVE LOVE LOVE the views from the Pololu Valley Lookout… WOW—how gorgeous!!!!.Thanks again for sharing…. Hope you have a great Father's Day.Hugs,Betsy

9. Ann

The poor mule, he looks emanciated.Did you ask the man if he needed a hand to get out of the hole? LOLHawaii used to be a popular holiday destination.

10. Willard

An interesting series on your trip, with excellent photos. I enjoy seeing Hawaii through the lens of your camera.

11. guild-rez

Linda,thank you for your comments on my blog. Thank you for your great shots from Hawaii!!My husband and I spend many beautiful vacations on the islands.The shoes with feet sticking out of a hole startled me. I am sure there is a story and one of you blog reader will know more.Enjoy your time and I hope to see more pictures soon.

12. Cynthia

That mule doesn't look like he's been feeding well lately…The lookout is beautiful. I hear you about the knee. Mine barely gets me downstairs to our basement. And not always without pain.Tell Dorothy she did a great job on the pic of you and Bob. What a wonderful vacation you are having! OK, had, but hey, I'm enjoying it between chores today.