Weekend in South Central Pennsylvania – Indiantown Gap National Cemetery

This blog post continues details of our extended weekend vacation (August 5-8) in South Central Pennsylvania. The first day of our vacation was mainly a driving event. We drove 5 1/2 hours from our home in Warren, PA, to our hotel in Jonestown, PA. On the second day of our vacation (August 6) we took a stroll alongside Union Canal in Lebanon and visited the quaint village of Mt. Gretna, where we saw Leon Redbone in concert.  We visited Hershey Gardens during the morning of the third day of our vacation (August 7). In the afternoon we visited the Indiantown Gap National Cemetery. We attended a cruise in at a campground near our hotel, too, later in the day. This blog provides details and photographs about the Indiantown Gap National Cemetery, in particular the Pennsylvania Veterans Memorial. My next blog post will be about the cruise in.

The Indiantown Gap National Cemetery is located immediately adjacent to Fort Indiantown Gap, on 677 acres of land that were deeded over from the military post to the Veterans Administration by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1976. The land on which the cemetery is located provides for a beautiful, peaceful setting.

D8076047 4x6
Flags line the roadway throughout the cemetery.
According to the Indiantown Gap National Cemetery website, the “elaborate Pennsylvania Veterans’ Memorial is the largest monument in [Veteran Administration’s] National cemeteries. The combination open-air space and building stands 107 feet high and 360 feet long. Its design evokes “the ruins of a war-torn building centered in a land of solemnity.” Designed by Cee Jay Associates of West Chester, Pa., the granite, stone, and concrete composition was dedicated Oct. 7, 2001. The memorial is dedicated to all who serve the nation and veterans of all wars—past and future.”
D8076026 4x6
D8076029 4x6
D8076031 4x6
D8076032 4x6
D8076033 4x6
D8076035 4x6
D8076037 4x6
D8076041 4x6
Billy Ray Cyrus’s song “Some Gave All” seems appropriate to bring this blog post closure.

12 Responses to “Weekend in South Central Pennsylvania – Indiantown Gap National Cemetery”

That song makes me cry… Actually, just seeing the flags makes me so teary…. I would love that cemetery. What a fabulous place… Love the architecture… God Bless All of those who died to give me FREEDOM.Hugs,Betsy

2. Diana

Linda, bittersweet is it not? The beauty of the design in this memorial and the silence (respect and sadness) I feel when I look upon it. I am afraid too many (Americans) take our safety for granted and have no thought about what sacrifices have been made for the freedom. Thank you for sharing this with us.

3. Corker2

I've been to Indiantown Gap a number of times in the past, cause it's not too far from where I live. It's about an hour away, but I have not been down there for a number of years. They must have built this Memorial for all to see, since I've been down there.It is very nice. A lasting Tribute for our Fallen. Have to get there sometime to see it for myself. This is a great Post, Linda. Thanks for reminding me.Les

4. Martha Z

This reminds me of my visit to Punch Bowl National Cemetery in Hawaii. It makes one realize how great the sacrafice made in war.

5. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

I want to thank everyone for their comments. If you are ever in Lebanon County, PA, I recommend that you visit this cemetery. Both the cemetery and memorial are beautiful. In response to Les, the memorial opened on or about October 7, 2001.

6. Anonymous

I live in York County so not far from this and have been to Fort Indiantown Gap a few times and never have been to that part. Which I knew about it the time I had a GS troop there for Rainbow Connection and got rained out would have done that on the way home. Bertie