Weekend in South Central Pennsylvania – Cruise Night

This blog post concludes details of our extended weekend vacation (August 5-8) in South Central Pennsylvania. The first day of our vacation was mainly a driving event. We drove 5 1/2 hours from our home in Warren, PA, to our hotel in Jonestown, PA. On the second day of our vacation (August 6) we took a stroll alongside Union Canal in Lebanon and visited the quaint village of Mt. Gretna, where we saw Leon Redbone in concert.  On the third day of our vacation (August 7) we visited Hershey Gardens during the morning.  In the afternoon we visited the Indiantown Gap National Cemetery. Later in the day we attended Lickdale Campground’s annual Cruise Night.

While riding the elevator to our hotel room the first day of our weekend vacation, I noticed a bulletin announcing a Cruise Night at Lickdale Campground on Saturday evening. The bulletin read as follows:

“4:00 to 8:00pm, Music from 5:00pm, Burn-out Pit opens at 8:00pm
Bring your Classic, Custom or Antique Car, Truck or Motorcycle
and spend an
evening at the campground
enjoying great music & food and lots of great looking cars!”

Lickdale Campground was located across the street from our hotel. We made plans to attend the Cruise Night. So, one week ago today, we were enjoying the sights and sounds of Lickdale Campground’s 7th annual Cruise Night. This event was free for everyone; however, donations and canned goods were being accepted for Lebanon Food Bank.

Weekend in South Central Pennsylvania - Cruise Night
Some of the cars at the Lickdale Campground Cruise Night
(please click on image to enlarge)
Bryan Stevenson with “The Hit List” entertained the crowd with music from the 50’s – 60’s. I hadn’t heard of this band before. I enjoyed listening to their music.
D8076099 4x6
D8076100 4x6
D8076101 4x6

The Burn-Out Pit opened at 8:00 PM.

D8076157 4x6
Burn-out Pit

D8076161 4x6
Concrete pavement watered down

This was the first time I attended a burn-out event. The first “contestant” only squealed her tires on the concrete pavement. I didn’t take her photograph, as her performance wasn’t a burn-out.

The second “contestant” was a man riding a motorcycle.

D8076164 4x6
D8076165 4x6
Tire smoking just a little bit
D8076171 4x6
Tire smoking a lot!
This man went through all gears while in the burn-out pit.D8076174 4x6
This was the third “contestant”.D8076176 4x6
The car started to slide!

D8076178 4x6
Tires smoking a lot.
The smoke was coming right at us!

D8076179 4x6

We walked back to our hotel shortly after that last burn-out. More “contestants” burned their tires after we left; however, we had seen and heard and smelled (!) enough. The smell of burning tires was in my hair, on my clothes and seemed to have permeated my very body! That’s our hotel across the street. It’s shrouded in a cloud of smoke from the burn-out pit.

This concludes our weekend in South Central Pennsylvania. We returned home on Sunday, August 8th.

15 Responses to “Weekend in South Central Pennsylvania – Cruise Night”

So–Cruise Night was not a 'cruise' around the lake, huh???? ha….. Love seeing the old cars… Bet that band would have played alot of music I would remember… haBurn-out would not be my idea of something fun to watch…. PEEEE—OUUUUUU…BUT–I'm sure all in all, you had a great evening. You got to do so much on this little vacation. That's just like OURS.Have a wonderful weekend. Are you out on the bike today?Hugs,Betsy

2. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

Hi Betsy,No, we aren't out on the bike today. Bob is putting in overtime hours at work. He will be home in a few minutes (12:00 noon). The bike is still sitting on the motorcycle lift in our garage. The back tire is off. The final drive is still in the shop for repair. Parts are supposed to be in Monday. Bob hopes he is riding again by next week. The bike has been on the lift long enough.

My husband is so jealous! He loves antique care of all sorts! Thanks for the pics too, they are fabulous!But a burn out!?! I've never heard of those. That really does a thing on tires, because you don't end up with very much rubber left after too many of those. 🙂

4. Joe Todd

Cruise ins= Fun.. I had never heard of a burn-out pit. Always a great opportunity to take a lot of neat photos.. Hope you are having a great weekend

5. Tamara

Thank you for attending our cruise Night @ Lickdale Campground. I agree, the burn-outs are a smelly affair, but are wildly popular… did you see the crowd waiting for that first burn-out!? The band forms for our event only, but each play in other bands in the area. Thanks again and safe travels…

6. Scott

More fun. Loved those vintage cars and I've never been to a burn-out either, didn't even know they existed. Good coverage on that.

Great photos of what looks like a fun evening Linda. You got me there with the 'cruise night' also. I thought you were going out on a dinner cruise somewhere but that probably wouldn't have been as exciting as this 'cruise' 🙂 Have a great week. An English Girl Rambles

8. eileeninmd

Love all the cool looking cars, my son would love to be there checking them all out. Wonderful photos and mosaic. Sounds like you are having a fun vacation.

9. steviewren

I guess you have to be there to understand the interest in the burn out event. As for myself, after the first smelly tire roasting event I think I would be done. : )

10. Tes

Interesting looking cars, Linda! Your photos tell a great story! We've never been to a burn out before, would love to try it. I love reading about your experiences -so much FUN! Good luck to Bob on that bike -keep safe! 🙂

Wow, I have never heard of a burn out event before. It looks like it takes talent but I don't think I would like the smell either:) Your posts are always so interesting!