Genesee Country Village and Museum – #9

This post continues with details and photographs from our visit in June to the Genesee Country Village and Museum.

There is a brewery on the grounds of the Genesee Country Village and Museum. It is located in the Pioneer Settlement portion of the Historic Village. Brewers use the same practices of early brewers in western and central New York. The brewery features fresh water pumped through a wooden pipe, a wood-fired brew kettle and huge wooden fermentation casks. The brown ale being brewed, 1803 Fat Ox Ale, is on tap at museum restaurants. Bob drank a pint of the ale at lunch and said it was good.

D6264808 4x6
W. Greive’s Brewery, c. 1803 (Geneva, NY)
D6264812 4x6
Delivery of water to brew kettle
D6264818 4x6
D6264816 4x6
Wood-Fired Brew Kettle
D6264815 4x6
Copper-lined cooling pans
D6264820 4x6
Fermentation Casks
D6264823 4x6
Costumed Interpreter in basement of brewery

If you would like to see a short video about the W. Greive’s Brewery, you may do so by clicking here.

10 Responses to “Genesee Country Village and Museum – #9”

Hi Linda, Loved seeing the brewery… Very interesting…. Did they give samples???? haLove your picture –and congrats on the job.. You WILL learn alot for sure… Funny story about the Venus Fly Trap…. Have a great weekend.Hugs,Betsy

2. Lisa RedWillow

I m enjoying your photos and travels so much . I cant wait to go again. We hope to this winter again to the States someplace. Loved your blog.Hoping to go into New Mexico , San a Fa . Its full of art Im told and has to have so much history. Im still not sure. Could be Hawaii agian.Thanks so much again for coming and telling me about my music.Glad you like it . I know its not for everyone . Have a most beautiful day my friend.Lisa

3. George

Thanks for the tour of the brewery. It's always an education to see how things were done 'back then'.I look forward to seeing your pictures from 30 Mile Point!That was a cute story you told on yourself about the Venus Fly Trap.

You made me laugh with that story Linda, so easy to assume when you've been selling the other items. Congratulations on entering the work force. The garden center sounds like a nice place to work. Lovely post and I enjoyed all the photos from your last trip, and the one of you.

Congratulations on your new job. I enjoyed the Venus fly trap story. I worked with the public for a lot of years when I was younger and have some funny stories too. Never a dull moment when you are working with people:)

haha…funny about the Venus fly trap…even though I know what one is, after selling a bunch, I would probably have had the same thought as you.