Labor Day Weekend in Northeastern Ohio – Last Day

Bob and I spent Labor Day weekend in Cleveland, Ohio. We went to Cleveland to visit the zoo. We visited the zoo, but we saw so much more.

On Saturday, while en route Cleveland, we made two sightseeing stops. On the first stop we saw the Smolen-Gulf Bridge, the longest covered bridge in the United States. Our second sightseeing stop was in Geneva-on-the-Lake, where we took a short walk down “the Strip” and saw Lake Erie. On Sunday we visited the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. We returned home on Monday. On our way back home, we stopped in Fairport Harbor, where we saw two lighthouses.

D9066966 4x6
Grand River Lighthouse (front view)

D9066979 4x6
Grand River Lighthouse (back view)

The Grand River Lighthouse was built in 1871 and has a 60 foot tower with a detached keeper’s house. The light was decommissioned in 1925, replaced by the West Breakwater Lighthouse.

D9066973 4x6
West Breakwater Lighthouse

We asked an older couple, who were walking to their car after eating breakfast at a local restaurant, if it were possible to see the West Breakwater Lighthousefrom a closer vantage point. This couple gave us directions to Headlands Beach State Park in nearby Mentor, where a trail leads to the lighthouse.

D9066987 4x6

Just as we started to follow the trail to the lighthouse, we saw this young deer. The deer allowed me to come pretty close (there was a wooden rail fence separating us) before it leaped away.

D9066991 4x6

This was our first view of the the West Breakwater Lighthouse from Headlands Beach State Park. See the seawall on the left-hand side of the photograph? It was possible to walk to the lighthouse on the seawall; however, we felt it was a treacherous undertaking, especially for me as I am not too steady on my feet. We returned to the beach trail.

D9066993 4x6
Beach trail to lighthouse
D9066994 4x6
I was awestruck at the beauty of this lighthouse!
D9067003 4x6
We spoke briefly with this couple. We learned that they are avid birdwatchers, as well as volunteers at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, which we had visited the previous day.

Located a short distance from Headlands Beach State Park, in the village of Grand River, is Pickle Bill’s Lobster House. We caught sight of the restaurant as we rounded a corner, making our way to the route back home.

D9067034 4x6
Pickle Bill’s Lobster House

It was Pickle Bill’s lighthouse that first caught my attention. We didn’t realize that Pickle Bill’s was a restaurant until we pulled into the parking lot and saw a sign that read “open for lunch”. The line of people waiting for the restaurant to open at 1:00 PM, as well as the exterior decorations, made us decide that Pickle Bill’s was worth checking out. The eclectic decorating style of the exterior was continued to the interior of the restaurant too.
D9067049 4x6
This is the entrance to Pickle Bill’s.

Here are other photographs inside Pickle Bill’s.

D9067047 4x6

D9067048 4x6

D9067051 4x6

D9067046 4x6

By the way Bob and I each ordered seafood dinners at Pickle Bill’s, which we both enjoyed immensely.

We had a wonderful Labor Day weekend. We hope that each of you had a wonderful weekend as well!

7 Responses to “Labor Day Weekend in Northeastern Ohio – Last Day”

Wow–you two did have a great weekend. Love seeing those two lighthouses, especially the 2nd one. Glad you didn't walk on the sand though. I think that is what ruined my knee last May….If we didn't collect waterfalls, we would be collecting lighthouses I'm sure. How gorgeous…. That Pickle Bills looks like a great place also… Glad you stopped there… Your seafood dinner sounds yummy.Hugs,Betsy

2. George

Thanks for taking us along with you to these lighthouses. I haven't been to either one. Sometime when you have more time for a trip travel west of Cleveland. There is a beautiful lighthouse at Marblehead (near Sandusky).Pickle Bill's looks like a great place to eat.

I'm always very happy when people share their trips. This one is another great sight-seeing tour for me Linda. You show me places I would like to visit myself one day, places I have never heard of before. A big thank you from me 🙂 Your photos are wonderful.An English Girl Rambles

Your lighthouse pics are cool. I really love lighthouses, too! (We have so many to enjoy here around the Great Lakes!)And I have to admit Pickle Bill's sounds interesting! I think I would have gone in to explore too because of the lighthouse outside!

5. Ann

Did you see the lighthouse keepr's wife with her basket of sandwiches.Looks like you had a great time.

What a wonderful bunch of photos…I love lighthouses, though I have not seen that many…and I love Pickled Bill's….I would have fun just looking there. There is a lot to see.