An Afternoon Spent Meandering Here and There

Saturday morning (September 18th) I had my hair cut and colored. My hair sure needed attention; it looked so dull before my hair appointment. Afterward my hair looked great. It looked great even after having a helmet covering it most of the day.

Bob and I went on a motorcycle ride after my hair appointment. We rode approximately 150 miles, meandering here and there but never more than 30 miles or so from home. We were gone from 11:00 AM until approximately 5:30 PM. We rode past Kinzua Dam and around Allegheny Reservoir. Our first stop was at the Riverview-Corydon-Cornplanter Cemetery, located on a bluff overlooking Allegheny Reservoir. The individual cemeteries were moved here in 1964 before they were flooded by the Allegheny Reservoir, which was created when Kinzua Dam was completed in 1965. The Riverview-Corydon-Cornplanter Cemetery contains the remains of relatives and descendants of Seneca Chief Cornplanter, along with residents of Corydon and the surrounding area.

D9187131 4x6
This is the Cornplanter Cemetery. The tall structure is Cornplanter Monument. The remains of Chief Cornplanter are supposedly buried under the monument.

D9187126 4x6

D9187130 4x6
These markers are located in Riverview Cemetery.
D9187133 4x6
These markers are located in Corydon Cemetery.
There is much controversy regarding the building of Kinzua Dam.
This is a song that talks about Chief Cornplanter and the Kinzua Dam controversy.
You may also read about Chief Cornplanter and the Kinzua Dam controversy by clicking here, which will take you to a Wikipedia article on Chief Cornplanter.

The entrance to Allegany State Park in New York was a short distance from the Riverview-Corydon-Cornplanter Cemetery. Our original plans were to ride through Allegany State Park. We changed our mind, as sunny skies changed to cloudy skies. We rode to Jamestown, NY instead and ate lunch at Home Town Grill, a new restaurant that opened recently. Bob ordered wick on stick [CORRECTION: “wick on stick” should read “beef on weck sandwich”. Thank you Betsy for asking what is a wick on stick in your comment!]; I ordered a bacon cheddar cheese burger. Both our meals came with french fries. The food was good, as was the service. The prices, though, were a bit expensive — $23.46 for two.

While eating lunch the clouds gave way to sunshine, so we decided to ride around Chautauqua Lake. We drove through Mayville and stopped at the See-Zuhr House in Bemus Point for dessert. We shared a slice of Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie.
An Afternoon Spent Meandering Here and There
Bob took this picture of the ice cream pie that we shared.

After eating dessert, we started our ride back home. We made one other stop, at a rest area on Interstate 86 that overlooks Chautauqua Lake. The rest area is about 1 1/2 miles east of Bemus Point.

D9187136 4x6
A wedding party was being photographed as we arrived at the rest area.
D9187140 4x6
The bride and groom didn’t mind that I took their photograph.
D9187150 4x6
Bob took this picture of me at the rest area.

I’m sporting a new hair cut and color. My hair looks pretty good even after wearing a helmet all afternoon!

13 Responses to “An Afternoon Spent Meandering Here and There”

1. Becky K.

I've been to the Kinzua Dam. It was a day trip from our cabin at Potter County years ago. Isn't it great when we get a good cut and color? I consider it “Hairapy”. Very relaxing and a mood boost. Becky K.

Hi Linda, Love the haircut and color…. PURDY!!!!!! Thanks for taking us on your ride. You have so much to see JUST in your area…. We didn't go anywhere since it was back up to 90 degrees here. Yow!!!!Interesting wedding —but at a 'rest stop'???????? Mercy Me!!!!!What is a wick on a stick????? Something like a corn dog?????That pie looks yummy…. I “HEART” that!!!!!Have a great week, Pretty Lady.Hugs,Betsy

3. Gretchen

Never met a bride who didn't want photographed on her day. :)Sounds like a great day trip! I love poking around cemeteries. Maybe we can do a tour one of these days since we're so close?

4. Lorraina

It's always a nice day when you get to see a wedding happening.Nice haircut and colour!I like the word Becky coined “hairapy” it is relaxing and gives me a boost too so going to use that myself…

5. George

It looks as if it was a perfect day for a motorcycle ride. I really like the looks of that dessert !Your hair does look good, even after being under a helmet all day.

The stones on the memorial are interesting. That's a wonderful Jewish tradition that makes a personal act of kindness to the person honored with a tombstone. I think it's kind of like adding another tombstone to honor the person.Love that pie too – it's huge! Good pic of you too. I more than a bit older than you and have given up on the coloring of my very white hair. (Cost too much!)

7. Linda

Another very varied tour – there's so much to see in your immediate area. From graveyards to pie to wedding parties!

8. Anonymous

I have to check my research, but Bob (& me) may have relatives [by marriage] in that cemetery. The Kilburn & related families through our great-grandmother's 3rd husband lived out that way (Red House). One of the Kilburn boys was an activist against the flooding of Native American land, back when the dam was built – did they call them “dam” activists? There is a clipping from the Warren paper about it on my ancestry.com website.Maybe next time we're back to PA we can take a trip out there? We're looking to 2 weeks in Lakewood in May for vacation if the surgery goes as planned…Cynthia

9. Peggy

You guys sure get around on your motorcycles! I enjoyed reading your blog recounting the details of your little trip and about the Kinzua Dam and listening to the story as told in Johnny Cash's song.Thanks for sharing!

10. Sheila Reinhard Augustine

I so enjoyed reading this post. Made me really homesick for a taste of beef on weck, it is apparently a Western New York treat that never made it to Ohio. My Mom used to take me to YWCA in Jamestown, where they had it on their lunch menu.