An Autumn Ride

Bob and I went for a 90-mile motorcycle ride yesterday afternoon. We rode to Kinzua Bridge State Park, which is located near Mt. Jewett, Pennsylvania. Click here for a map of our route:

We had perfect riding conditions. The sunshine was brilliant, the sky blue with only a few clouds in view, and the temperature in the upper 60s or low 70s. We enjoyed the beauty of the red, yellow and orange colors of the leaves that surrounded us during our ride.

DA097388 4x6
Kinzua Bridge State Park

It has been 7 years since Kinzua Bridge was blown down by a tornado. Remnants of the bridge still lay on the forest floor. I wrote a blog post about the Kinzua Bridge a little more than a year ago. If you are interested in reading that post about Kinzua Bridge and seeing a few more photographs, you may do so by clicking here. Prior to the tornado of 2003, Kinzua Bridge was a prime spot to enjoy the Autumn colors.

While at Kinzua Bridge State Park, we conversed with a man who doesn’t get “up this way much”. He told us that he lives 100 miles away, in Kittanning. Kittanning, you say? Well, I grew up near Kittanning. We share a few names, people whom we both know. As it turns out this man doesn’t live in Kittanning. He lives near Kittanning, in Worthington. I mention the name of a family who lives in Worthington. We made an amazing discovery! This man lives next door to the family mentioned. This man’s neighbors — Connie and Paul F. — are friends of mine. Connie and I graduated high school together. Wonders never cease! The world is a small place, isn’t it?

On our way back home from Kinzua Bridge State Park we stopped briefly at the Big Bend Recreation Area, along the Allegheny River, for a view of Kinzua Dam.

DA097418 4x6
Bob, with Kinzua Dam in the background

Although Kinzua Dam is located only 6 miles from where we live, this was the first time that either Bob or I had seen Kinzua Dam from this vantage point.We made one more stop before returning home. An 18-foot tall cast iron fountain was installed recently in Warren. I hadn’t yet seen the fountain.

DA097422 4x6

The new fountain is located at the intersection of Second and Pennsylvania Avenues in Warren, PA. This fountain is the centerpiece of Warren’s Downtown Streetscape Revitalization Project. I’ll be happy when construction in downtown Warren is completed. I believe the Streetscape Project was initiated sometime in 2009; however, construction in Warren has been ongoing since late 2002.

13 Responses to “An Autumn Ride”

Great post, Linda. I even enjoyed going back to see your other Kinzua Bridge State Park. I didn't know you all had sponsored foreign exchange students before. That is so neat!!!!I'm shocked that nobody has done much clean-up to that old bridge. Seems like they could have gotten some of that stimulus money for something like that. Too bad.That is a neat picture of Bob at the Kinzua Dam… AND–I love that new fountain in Warren. Seems like Warren is doing a great job of fixing itself up…. That's GREAT.Thanks for sharing.Hugs,Betsy

2. Chip Allen

Thanks for taking us along on your trip, Linda. My family and I took a road trip yesterday, as well, except we traveled by SUV. My back can't handle motorcycles any longer and that's one thing I really miss.

3. George

It looks as if you had perfect weather for your ride, and you had some nice autumn color. Thanks for sharing the renovations going on in Warren. The fountain is really neat.I'm constantly amazed about how small the world can be at times.

4. Willard

A great post with wonderful photos. At times, it is amazing how small the world is.I was wearing a John Deere hat from a dealer in West Virginia, when I was in Jackson Hole Wyoming. A couple approached me and asked some questions about my camera lens and then said they were from Johnstown, Pa. and they were amazed when they found I was also from Pa.

5. thegardenweigh

Lovely photos as usual! And looks like super weather for your ride too! I need to get out more, but our fall seems to be a rainy one so far. And then it will be colder than I enjoy quite soon.

That sounded like a lovely ride. How fun to meet up with someone that knows your friends. It truly is a small world sometimes:)

7. Andrea

How wonderful it is to ride with you sometime Linda. Oh how i wish, haha! And learn a lot from your photoshoots!

8. steviewren

You two picked a beautiful clear day for your ride. That blue sky would make any place a little prettier. The fountain in Warren reminds me a bit of one we have here, except I like the height of yours better. The oddly shaped building in the background is quite picturesque as well. All in all it sounds like a good day.

9. Gretchen

Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful photos! It was so disappointing when the Bridge was destroyed. :(I'll be in Warren in a couple weeks, visiting other friends. Want to have lunch?