My Good Deed for the Day

I heard a lot of revving going on outside my house. I looked out the window and saw that a car was stuck in the snow in the driveway across the street from our house.

The passenger attempted to get the car unstuck by opening his door, pushing the snow with the door, and then stomping down on the snow with his feet while still sitting in the car!

The driver and her young granddaughter, who was sitting in the back seat, got out and attempted to push the car out of the snow bank. That’s when I decided to loan the occupants of the car a shovel.

Driver attempting to get car unstuck by removing snow from around tires.

Within a few minutes I realized that more help was needed. I put on clothing suitable for being outdoors and went across the street to offer my help. I shoveled the snow out from under the front of the car. I, then, had the driver get inside the car. While she pressed the gas pedal, I pushed the car from behind. We managed to get the car unstuck. So that was my good deed for the day, as well as enough exercise (in my opinion) for the day!

By the way, the home across the street from me is an assisted living facility. The driver and her granddaughter were taking a relative (a patient) for an outing. The driver said that when she brought “him” back to the facility, she would not leave by the same driveway!

12 Responses to “My Good Deed for the Day”

1. Becky K.

Good for you, Linda! I am sure they were very, very thankful for you.I agree that you probably got enough of a workout for one day…smile.We just have enough snow here to be a nuisance.

You are so nice, Linda… Glad you could help them.. I'm sure they appreciated it… Many years ago, I was driving in snow and hit ice and went into a ditch. No damage to me or to the car (other than having to get a wrecker to pull me out)… BUT–I am petrified to drive anymore in ice and snow… Glad we don't get so much down here.Happy New Year.Hugs,Betsy

So many just stand and watch, good for you for stepping up! Happy New Year and you sure have a ton of snow!! (My niece in NYC is snowed in!)

4. George

I'm proud of you for doing your good deed. Several years ago we got stuck one night trying to get up the hill to our house. A neighbor at the bottom of the hill helped us get unstuck and let us leave the car in his driveway.

5. ~mel

You're a sweet woman for doing the good deed of helping out when needed. I know what you mean about it being a workout ~ that is a good workout trying to push a car … and to shovel out snow. Let's hope you don't have to repeat that good deed any time soon.

6. eileeninmd

It was very nice of you to help the driver, Linda! I am sure they were very thankful too! getting stuck is just one of the reasons I do not like snow.

7. Jen

Yeah for you! for saving the day! That's a lot of snow on the road– too much for me to be out in unless it was an emergency. But I guess folks in your area are use to it.

Well done on the good deed Linda. The lady must have been so grateful. Remember getting stuck once myself several years ago and two gentlemen came along and saved the day. Only got a dusting of snow down here.

9. Chip Allen

Good job, Linda! Haven't had to help anyone out yet but the tow chains have been in the back of the truck for a couple of weeks, just in case. I think every large 4X4 ought to come with them as standard equipment. Pulling folks out when they get stuck sort of makes up for the huge carbon footprint:)