Cardinal in a Tree

I happened to look out my kitchen window and saw a male cardinal high up in a tree. Not only was the cardinal high up in the tree, he was a long way from where I stood watching him!

Male Cardinal

I used my new camera, the Olympus E-5, with an Olympus 70-300 mm lens to capture this photograph. I was zoomed all the way out, to 300 mm (which is equivalent to a 35 mm focal length of 600mm). This photograph is NOT CROPPED. For my photography buffs I include additional EXIF information. This photograph was taken at f/16 with a shutter speed of 1/320 sec. and ISO 250. I used spot metering and a sunny White Balance. I did not use a tripod.

By cropping the above photograph, I brought the cardinal a lot closer to me.

Male Cardinal

By the way, as you can tell, it is a gorgeous day here in Western Pennsylvania!

12 Responses to “Cardinal in a Tree”

You really can zoom with that lens! I love the pics of the birds around your home, especially the cardinals since I really love them here too.

2. Scott

Nice job on that Linda. I've got that same lens on my E30 and found it comes in handy quite often.

3. George

What a great picture. You did a marvelous job of capturing the cardinal with your long lens.I'm glad you had a beautiful, sunny day after all the snow you've had this winter.

4. Chip Allen

Nice shot, Linda! Except for the macro all of my lenses are image stabilized and I can usually get away with shooting offhand which is a good thing because I ALWAYS forget the tripod is in the truck.

5. E. Z.

Linda – I love the uncropped photo. The leafless trees, the sense of absence and right in the middle of it all, a small, red speck of life. Your love of taking photos shows in each one you do. The “Patches series” has been fun. What a sweet little girl. Ellen

I am so ready for a few days of brilliant blue skies….and he is a handsome fellow sitting there.

7. Linda (PA_shutterbug)

Thank you all for your comments!@Chip – My camera has IS built in, so I am able to take a lot more pictures hand held than I was without IS! I still tend to shake, though, when I attempt to focus on something as small as a bird a long ways off!@E.Z. – Ellen, I went to your blogger profile. I didn't find any recent blog posts …