The Blue Jay

The Blue Jay Poem
by Susan Hartley Swett

O Blue Jay up in the maple tree,
Shaking your throat with such bursts of glee,
How did you happen to be so blue?
Did you steal a bit of the lake for your crest,
And fasten blue violets into your vest?
Tell me, I pray you,–tell me true!

Did you dip your wings in azure dye,
When April began to paint the sky,
That was pale with the winter’s stay?
Or were you hatched from a blue-bell bright,
‘Neath the warm, gold breast of a sunbeam light,
By the river one blue spring day?

O Blue Jay up in the maple tree,
A-tossing your saucy head at me,
With ne’er a word for my questioning,
Pray, cease for a moment your “ting-a-link,”
And hear when I tell you what I think,–
You bonniest bit of spring.

I think when the fairies made the flowers,
To grow in these mossy fields of ours,
Periwinkles and violets rare,
There was left of the spring’s own color, blue,
Plenty to fashion a flower whose hue
Would be richer than all and as fair.

So, putting their wits together, they
Made one great blossom so bright and gay,
The lily beside it seemed blurred:
And then they said, “We will toss it in air;
So many blue blossoms grow everywhere,
Let this pretty one be a bird.”

18 Responses to “The Blue Jay”

1. Barb

That jay looks as though it's still wearing a fur coat, Linda – must still be cold there!

Very nice, Linda… I love both the picture and the poem… I had 3 jays on my deck today –about noon. They will eat both suet and sunflower seed… They are pretty –but loud, and they do scare off the little birds.Hugs,Betsy

3. ~mel

Love the poem and photo ~ he looks like the wind is ready to blow him off that branch backwards 🙂

4. Dar

Fantastic photo to go with a fantastic poem….loved your rainbow too!BlessYourHeart and Thanks for stopping

5. Linda

What a cheerful chap! We don't have quite the same jays here – I'm always interested to see American birds.I loved your story of your German exchange student who learned to drive with you and saved herself money when she returned home. I would have done the same at her age!

6. Cher' Shots

I do enjoy their beauty however; they are such 'feeder' hogs. They scare away the smaller birds the big 'bullies! p.s. I found you through my sister Dar's blog @ darsstuffings. 'hugs from afar'

7. Gretchen

What a gorgeous photo! Hubby has this entire weekend off, so I hope we can get out and take a few photos. I'm tired of posting ones from months ago. Always such a visual feast to come here and see what treats you have in store for us!

8. Beatrice P. Boyd

Enjoyed the photo and poem post, Linda. Blue Jays are among my favorite birds, even if they are noisy and loud. At least they are more colorful than the grackles and starlings which I really despise seeind at the feeders.Happy Easter weekend to you and yours.