Memorial Day Weekend – Skyline Drive (Front Royal to Thorton Gap)

We spent the Memorial Day weekend in Virginia. On Saturday we drove the entire length of Skyline Drive (105 miles), from Front Royal to Rockfish Gap. In order to better showcase the photographs that I took along Skyline Drive, I have divided the drive into five areas:

Front Royal to Pass Mountain Overlook
Thornton Gap to Crescent Rock
Hawksbill Gap to Point Overlook
Bearfence to Simmons Gap
Loft Mountain Overlook to Rockfish Gap

This blog post highlights the portion of the drive identified as Front Royal to Pass Mountain Overlook.

E5281628
Front Royal (North) Entrance Station
E5281631
Shenandoah Valley Overlook
E5281630
Shenandoah Valley Overlook
This is a telephoto view of the previous photograph.
E5281633
View prior to Signal Knob Overlook
E5281635
View prior to Signal Knob Overlook
This is a telephoto view of the previous photograph.
E5281638
E5281663
Bob climbed the rocks at Hogback Overlook
E5281665
Hogback Overlook
E5281666
A deer crossed the road between Hogback Overlook
and Pass Mountain Overlook.
E5281668
Pass Mountain Overlook
E5281672
Bob at Pass Mountain Overlook

My next blog post will highlight the portion of Skyline Drive that I have identified as Thornton Gap to Crescent Rock.

8 Responses to “Memorial Day Weekend – Skyline Drive (Front Royal to Thorton Gap)”

1. eileeninmd

Linda, I enjoyed your view of the Skyline Drive overlooks. Love the deer, I enjoy seeing the wildlife at the park. Wonderful photos.

Linda,The views are spectacular! Is that fog in the pic with bob sitting? At first I thought it might be rain! 🙂

3. Chip Allen

Looks real familiar! That first shot gives me a little incentive to cruise up there one weekend; my disabled parking placard will get us in free. It also gets us into state parks free of charge. Very nice set, Linda. Thanks for taking us along.

4. Corker2

Those pics of Skyline Drive are great! I've been there at Front Royal a few years back when we were riding the Goldwing. Enjoyed riding there, but we didn't go as far as you and Bob did. To be honest, I got sorta bored driving the Parkway, but can't remember where. Skyline Drive has and always will be a wonderful place to visit. Maybe we will go there again, but this time not on a Goldwing.

5. Gretchen

Absolutely gorgeous photos!! My favorite has to be Little Devil Stairs. The B&W makes the photo, IMHO. :)Looking forward to your next trip.

Hi LInda, I'm so jealous!!!! I love love love that area… I want to go back and see it all again!!!! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pictures.Hugs,Betsy

7. Lorraina

Fabulous scenery and deer. Love the little Devil Stairs, it's perfect. Love the names of places too. Everything is just awesome.