An Overnight Stay in Niagara Falls

We spent the night of June 30 in Niagara Falls (Ontario, Canada). We had hoped to meet up with my sister-in-law’s niece, while at the falls. Unfortunately that meeting did not happen. My sister-in-law’s niece, Gemma, is from England. Gemma and her boyfriend, Ben, were on vacation. Their last stop was Toronto, from which they had a day trip to Niagara Falls. Shortly before Bob and I were ready to depart home en route Niagara Falls, I received a telephone call from Gemma. Their schedule in Niagara Falls was more structured than she had thought, so they would not be able to meet us as planned. As it was too late to cancel our hotel reservation, we decided to make the trip to Niagara Falls.

E6302265

We crossed the Peace Bridge from New York to Canada. We rode along the Niagara Parkway to Niagara Falls. This was our first view of Niagara Falls, from the Niagara Parkway.

We arrived at our hotel (the Best Western Cairn Croft) shortly after 4:00 PM. After getting settled in our room, we took a short walk down Lundy’s Lane to the site of the Battle of Lundy’s Lane. Part of the battlefield site is preserved next to the Drummond Hill Cemetery.

E6302282
Drummond Hill Cemetery

E6302284Site of the Battle of Lundy’s Lane
Soldier’s Monument

On our way back to the hotel we stopped at Red Lobster, where we enjoyed a 4-course dinner. Bob and I each ordered broccoli and cheese soup and a garden salad. Our entrees were the Island Jumbo Coconut Shrimp (me) and Garlic-Herb Shrimp and Chicken (Bob). For dessert Bob had a slice of Key Lime Pie. I had the Triple-Chocolate Brownie with Ice Cream. Delicious!

When we returned to the hotel we purchased a 24-hour shuttle bus pass for $10.00 each. Later in the evening we took the Falls Shuttle from a stop right outside our hotel door to the foot of Clifton Hill.

E6302314
The sun had set by the time we arrived at the falls.
E6302326
As the sky grew darker, we enjoyed the illumination of the falls.
E6302342

Before catching the shuttle bus back to the hotel, we walked a short way up Clifton Hill taking in the nighttime lights.

E6302359
Clifton Hill

The next morning we took the Falls Shuttle once again down to the falls. We enjoyed walking through a small portion of Queen Victoria Park.

E7012393
Queen Victoria Park
View of the falls from Oakes Garden Theatre
E7012398
Oakes Garden Theatre fountain
E7012401
the American and Bridal Falls
E7012403
the Horseshoe Falls
E7012413
View of Skylon Tower from a fountain in Queen Victoria Park
E7012416
Queen Victoria Park fountain

We caught the 10:30 AM shuttle bus back to our hotel, hopped on the motorcycle and began our ride back home. As we had done the day before, we took the Niagara Parkway to the Peace Bridge. While on Niagara Parkway, I saw my very first cormorant.

E7012451
I saw lots of cormorants, not just one!

I think these are Double-crested Cormorants. Please correct me if I am wrong!

E7012446

E7012453

It took us about an hour to cross over Peace Bridge on our way back home. There was lots of traffic because it was Canada Day and the start of the Fourth of July weekend in the United States.

I am happy that we went to Niagara Falls. We had a such a good time. The trip could only have been better had we met up with Gemma and Ben!

12 Responses to “An Overnight Stay in Niagara Falls”

Wow–that is incredible, Linda. George and I made that trip in 2002–and stayed on the Canadian side also (at the Holiday Inn)… We took in ALL of the sites –and the only bad experience we had was eating in the Skylon Tower.. Expensive –and we had a table on the interior (and couldn't see out).. AND it was VERY crowded.. I would never recommend that… Tourist Trap for sure. BUT–we loved Niagara and especially riding on the Maid of the Mist… Awesome!!!Glad you went.Hugs,Betsy

2. Scott

Don't you just love “The Falls”. I watched a documentary on them the other day and was amazed at how much they have been changed by man over the years, but they are still a wonder.

Great trip Linda, those photos were lovely to look at. The last time I visited Niagara was about six years ago. Happy 4th of July! I hear fireworks going off as I type this.

4. Barb

Linda, I've never been to Niagara Falls, so I really enjoyed your photos. My parents actually honeymooned there. You really captured some great Cormorant photos. Looks like that one was spreading his wings for a portrait! You guys are traveling some miles on the motorcycle!

5. George

We truly enjoyed our visit to Niagara Falls several years ago. I only wish I had gotten some night pictures of the falls as good as yours.

6. eileeninmd

Great post, LInda! Brought back many memories of our trip to Niagara Falls. Congrats on the cormorant sighting. They are neat looking birds. I love the night shot of the falls. All your photos are wonderful.

7. KleinsteMotte

Glad you went since it looks like you had a great time. We go almost annually because at Niagara there's the Shaw Festival Theatre and we love their productions.

8. Andrea

Wow wonderful photos of the very much photographed falls. I didn't know there are 2 falls and you were able to show both in one wide angle shot. Donna of gardenwalkgardentalk.com is living in Niagara and we had been privileged to see lots of photos there too. However, i think this is my first time to see that at wide angle. Great shots, and thanks.

9. Andrea

BTW Linda, just like Trails of a Traveler i want to know the EXIF data also of the night shot. As you know i am still learning and i still an not knowledgeable with night shots. thanks.

10. Tes

Oh wow, I am blown away by the photos! The city lights and most of all the falls! Such a lovely place to visit. I hope I get to see it someday! You guys sure had a lovely time! 🙂