Tall Ships Erie 2013: Parade of Sail

I accompanied my friends, Marge and Neil, and their friend Nancy to Erie this past Thursday afternoon.  The purpose of our trip to Erie was to watch the Tall Ships Erie “Parade of Sail”.   Thousands of spectators viewed the Parade of Sail from along the Erie bayfront, the North Pier, South Pier and from areas throughout Presque Isle State Park.  Marge, Neil, Nancy and I met Marge’s friend, Carol, and Carol’s husband and sister-in-law at the South Pier.   The South Pier (indicated by the letter “A” in the map shown below) borders the channel leading into and out of Presque Isle Bay.

Nine majestic tall ships, led by the U.S. Brig Niagara, entered the channel from an assembly point located about two miles northwest of the Presque Isle Bay channel entrance, just off the tip of Presque Isle State Park.

P9052330Parade of Sail begins, with the U.S. Brig Niagara in the lead

E9052751 8x10U.S. Brig Niagara / Erie, PA

E9052756 8x10Lynx / Portsmouth, NH

E9052762 8x10Pride of Baltimore II / Baltimore, MD

E9052769 8x10Pride of Baltimore II cannon shot

E9052774 8x10Friends Good Will / South Haven, MI

E9052784 8x10Hindu / Provincetown, MA and Key West, FL

E9052789 8x10Unicorn / Bridgeport, CT

E9052795 8x10Peacemaker / Brunswick, GA

E9052806 8x10Appledore IV / Bay City, MI

E9052811 4x6Sorlandet / Kristiansand, Norway

For years I have wanted to see the U.S. Brig Niagara on Lake Erie, with its sails unfurled.  The U.S. Brig Niagara and all but one tall ship had their sails unfurled.  What a majestic sight it was and what an unforgettable day!

16 Responses to “Tall Ships Erie 2013: Parade of Sail”

1. Eileen

Linda, this are beautiful shots of the tall ships! I have seen the Pride of Baltimore II here in between trips. What a great event and a cool sight to see. Have a happy weekend!

2. Betsyfromtennessee

As I said on FB, my hubby would absolutely LOVE to be there. He is crazy about tall ships….. I like them too. Maybe someday we will see them.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

3. seniorhiker

These are marvelous photos. I saw the tall ships in Norfolk several years ago, but I missed the Parade of Sail. I would love to see these majestic ships under sail. I did see the Pride of Baltimore II at Norfolk.

4. Ludwig

Great set of photos! Very nice location! I’m jealous, you had nicer weather than when many of this same ships paraded out of Savannah last year.

5. kathy nik

In 2010 my husband and I (from Pittsburgh) were privileged to have a ringside seat at the hotel for the parade of ships that year (the ‘practice ‘ event for the 2013 celebration). It wasn’t the best weather back then and challenged the crews, and the Niagara wasn’t able to be in full sail. It was an exciting three days, however, and we enjoyed it immensely. Sadly, we weren’t able to make the Festival this year, and I’ve been looking all over for photos! Yours are the first we’ve come across, and they are spectacular! Thanks so much for publishing them! Glad the weather cooperated! The only sad note was the unbelievable loss of the Bounty this year and the tragic loss of the captain and one of the crew. I believe the ship might have participated again. It was a beautiful ship, and had three masts, and constructed larger than the original to accommodate the 70 mm cameras for the movie back in the ’60s. Congratulations to Erie for hosting this successful event!

6. Beatrice P. Boyd

Enjoyed seeing these beautiful and majestic ships, through your photos Linda. Years ago, I watched a similar sale in Philadelphia. Currently, we are in the Toronto area and just finished touring Niagara Falls after you had posted on doing so earlier. Also we stayed at Comfort Inn on the Pointe. Gave you a thanks on the post about the Maid of the Mist ride.