The 2017-2018 Winter Season … So Far

We saw our first snowfall of the 2017-2018 winter season on November 1.

DB011861Our first snowfall, on November 1st, was only a dusting.

On November 10 it snowed again.

IMG_0645
Bob mowed our lawn the day before, a good decision on his part.
The snowfall of November 10th was a bit more than a dusting.

Along comes Tuesday, December 12th.  A lake effect snow warning was in effect from 7:00 am until 1:00 pm Wednesday.  We live a little more than an hour’s drive southeast of Lake Erie.  When we have lake effect snow warnings, our snow comes to us as it crosses over Lake Erie.  Heavy lake effect snow was expected, with total snow accumulations of 8 to 12 inches.  Some places in Warren County could see as much as 16 inches of snow.  Sometimes, with lake effect snow, we get a little bit of snow.  Sometimes we get dumped on.  It all depends on the wind direction off the lake.  The lake effect snows that have been hitting us since yesterday morning have resulted in lots of snow.

_LG25331I took this photograph from our bathroom window, looking across our back yard.
This is the amount of snow that was on the ground shortly before 9:30 am on December 12th.

_LG25333I took this photograph from one of our living room windows,
looking across our driveway into our neighbor’s side yard.

Around the same time I stood on our front porch and took another picture, looking east away from our house.

_LG25334Note the snow on top of my solar lighthouse.  Our street is snow covered.
This photograph was taken shortly before 9:30 am on December 12th.

Later in the day the sun came out for a short time.

_LG25336The sun is out right now, as I am typing this.
I took this picture at 12:40 pm on December 12th.
Our back yard today looks similar to this picture, only with lots more snow.

It snowed during the night.  It snowed a lot during the night!

_LG25339Snow accumulation on December 13th at approximately 9:30 am

_LG25338Look at the amount of snow sitting on the snowman’s head!

The bird seed in the green feeder is being eaten.  Birds have not been eating it, though.  I haven’t seen one bird come to these feeders.  There are deer tracks all around the feeders.  We have yet to see the deer at the feeders.

One last photograph of the snow on the ground so far.

_LG25342I took this photograph from one of our living room windows around 9:40 am today.
My viewpoint is looking across our driveway to our neighbor’s side and back yard.

The snow has stopped falling for the time being.  The sun still shines.  It is a winter wonderland outside.  A chilly winter wonderland, though, as it is only 20 degrees.  At least it has warmed up from the 14 degrees it was, when I awakened this morning!

A Winter Weather Advisory was issued earlier today, which is in effect from 6:00 pm this evening until 8:00 am Thursday.  Another 2 to 4 inches of snowfall is expected for late today and tonight.

5 Responses to “The 2017-2018 Winter Season … So Far”

1. seniorhiker

You got some wonderful pictures of your winter wonderland. I must admit that I’m glad all that snow is at your house rather than ours!

2. Eileen

Hello Linda, looks like you have had much more snow than we did. It is pretty, I am sure the birds enjoy having the feeders with all that snow around. Enjoy your day!

3. Betsy

I finally figured out who lindapnnsy is….. When you used that name and came to my blog, I tried to respond but the only info showing at that time was the Google+ NO-INFO page…. SO—I was not sure who that was….. HA HA HA

You are so lucky to live in an area that gets snow… I’m sure you get tired of it –but I’d love it (at least SOME snow)…. When we first moved here in 2002, we had a lot of snow off and on for about 6 years. BUT–somehow things changed. These days we get very very little…. Oh Well–tis life. George loves this NO SNOW…. ha

Merry Christmas.