Bear Attack!

It was one year ago that we awakened to the after effects of a bear attack on our bird feeders.  Last year I wished that I had got a photograph of the bear(s) that attacked our bird feeders.  Be careful what you wish for because wishes do come true …

Bob awakened earlier than me this morning.  This is nothing out of the ordinary.  Bob always awakens earlier than me.  What was out of the ordinary was Bob racing into the bedroom, like a crazed man.  “Look out the window!”   I raise myself up and with eyes barely open, I look out the tiny opening in the blind that Bob has opened for me to see outside.  I think I said something like “nice sunrise”, not really seeing anything because my eyes are still not quite open.  Bob is still excited and asks “do you see them?”  “See what?”  “Bears!”.  My eyes snap open.  There are bears, three of them, in our back yard!  Oh boy, did I get up out of that bed fast.  I grabbed my camera, turned it on.  Oh crap!  No media card.  I find a media card in my camera bag; insert it.   While Bob is in the kitchen, capturing video, I am in the bathroom taking pictures … my very first pictures of bears, not caged in a zoo!

P5050739 4x6

We saw two baby cubs

and

Mama Bear!

P5050740 4x6

P5050741 4x6One of the baby bears liked our lighthouse feeder.

P5050742 4x6The baby bear carried our lighthouse feeder to the edge of our back yard.

P5050745 4x6Baby bear didn’t carry the lighthouse bird feeder much farther than here.

Earlier I mentioned that Bob was in the kitchen taking video, while I was taking pictures in the bathroom.  Here’s Bob’s video.

I guess we will be bringing in our bird feeders from now on.

8 Responses to “Bear Attack!”

1. Eileen

Looks like they were enjoying your bird food. I guess it is time to put the feeders away for awhile. The bears will move on. Great shots, Linda! Seeing these bears in my yard would have made my day, I love bears!

Oh, my! I can’t imagine see them in my back yard! Do they ever bother dogs that stay outside? What a thing to wake up to!

3. Fishing Guy

Linda: What a great photo opt. You captured some great photos. I thought it was bad when the raccoon attacked our feeders. They do it at night so no photos. It was a fun time for certain.

4. val

That was nice of you to have 3 feeders for 3 bears. Did Patches get to see them?

Absolutely amazing Linda, your photos are fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed Bob’s video. What an exciting encounter.

6. seniorhiker

We always bring in our feeders at night, but not because of bears. What a fascinating start to the day. Your pictures and Bob’s video are great.